Sunday 23 November 2014

1) BASAR BECHALAV – MILK AND MEAT

An analysis of Halachic scenarios that occur in a kosher kitchen.
INTRODUCTION
People would be amazed by the array of Halachic structure and logic that surround a kosher kitchen. No matter how long you have been keeping kosher, there are always new questions that arise, and so many interesting answers that actually make sense.
I have been fascinated by the depth of Halachic rationale behind the simple act of keeping kosher, and want to share that with you.
The source material for these shiurim is a two volume work[1] by the late Rabbi Aharon Pheuffer, who had the most amazing Halachic manner and was gifted with the ability to explain complex matters simply. His work has become a world standard.
Years ago, I called Rabbi Pheuffer with a question which he answered, but said he needed me to understand the reasons behind his answer, and that he would explain them, when he saw me. Sadly he passed away before we met again. Since then I have always felt the need, not just for ‘yes or no’ answers, but for reasons and explanations especially in the area of Jewish Law.
Essentially though, my translation, presentation and explanation in English, is to be taken only as theoretical. These shiurim are not meant to be the final word on the subject. With regard to issues of practice and custom, please discuss these with your local rabbi or Beth Din.
I hope you enjoy discovering these new insights as much as I have.





[1] Hebrew; Kitzur Shulchan Aruch al Hilchot Basar beChalav.

No comments:

Post a Comment